Saturday, March 7, 2009

Job Hunt

The whole point of my moving to LA was to put myself in a bigger market for television production and its amazing how much is going on out here. That doesn't mean its any easier to get your foot in the door, at least if you want to get paid (getting a credit in a low-budget indie film doesn't help me buy groceries). I've made a lot of cold calls and emails which are finally starting to pay off with some interviews.

Having a job at this point means a whole lot of things for me beyond a means to support myself as I've really missed working in TV over the past year. The hours are never great and tend to be hectic, but I love it. 

Mostly I'm ready to have a routine again. I've done a good job of not letting myself become the lazy unemployed guy. When I was in Knoxville, I had the 6 am workouts at the Y to keep me energized and in LA I've had plenty to keep me busy, but I'm starting to reach the point where I'm stretching out my errands over several days to ensure I have a reason to get out of the house. Keeping myself occupied has definitely been the hardest part of this whole not working thing.

With any luck, I'll soon be settling into a 400 square foot apartment furnished by Ikea, spending my days enjoying the beach, and spending my nights in an edit bay. 


No comments:

Post a Comment