Thursday, February 26, 2009

Better than birth control...

As mentioned before, I am extremely grateful that my friend and his wife are putting me up until I get my situation worked out here in LA. They've gone above and beyond for me and I'm truly in their debt.

They've also done a wonderful job with their two kids (ages around 3 1/2 and 20 months). Well behaved and listen as much as one could expect for kids their age. That said, I miss the time when they were slightly afraid of me.

Over the last few days, I've become fully accepted to the point where the youngest is now comfortable shoving a book into my hand and asking me to read to her. What this also means, is that I now have to be on my guard with anything and everything I do. 

Eating in particular is now something I have to sneak in with deft precision. If I'm not careful, the following scenario will occur:

Scene: I sit pleasantly eating some chips and salsa 

(enter the 1 and a half year old girl sporting a devastatingly cute bow and smiling)

Her: (sweetly) Mine?

Me: Um... I don't think you want this

Her: (louder) Mine?

Me: No, this isn't for you

Her: (emphatically) Mine.

Me: ...

Her: MIIIINE.

Me: Ok... here (hands her a tortilla chip)

Her: (sweetly) More?

Me: No... you have to eat what you have

Her: (louder) More?

Me: (leaves to find a vasectomy clinic)

End Scene

I always knew parenting was a tough gig, but to see it this up close, from the beginning of the day until its time for bed, is very eye-opening and gives me a whole new appreciation for what it means to be a parent.

3 comments:

  1. Next time before she asks you for something, take the bow out of her hair. It's the source of her power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you still alive

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's been over a decade

    ReplyDelete